Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Unboring Boys supports BoysRead.org


Life is funny sometimes. Before I had kids, I worked at a national women's organization that focused on issues affecting women and girls--like the fact that there are way more male engineers than female engineers, and that not enough girls enroll in higher level math and science courses in school. Then I had boys. Even though, as a woman, I was still concerned about girls' issues, as a mom of two boys, I became aware of issues impacting their gender. There are far more boys than girls in special education classes, for example. Too many boys drop out of school. And boys are more likely to struggle with reading.

Reading is one of my favorite things to do, and so far, Nick and Henry enjoy it, too. My hope is that they will continue to love reading as adults, because I firmly believe that readers go far in life. So I want to take time this week to feature BoysRead.org whose mission is to "transform boys into lifelong readers."

If you're looking for ways to encourage your little man to read more, BoysRead.org is a great starting point. Their site offers a wealth of resources and ideas to encourage a love of reading, such as starting Reading Tribes (basically book clubs for boys) and using graphic novels to get older boys interested. It also has lists of suggested authors and titles--organized by grade level, that boys might enjoy, along with articles, a blog, an awesome logo tee (scroll to the bottom of the store page), sections devoted to writing, and TONS of useful links.

No comments: