Friday, September 12, 2008

Yo Ho Yawn


I don't have anything against pirates. I loved the whole swashbuckling, pirate ship and treasure map thing--when it first came out. Seriously, this pirate craze has been going on for what, two years now? It's been at least that long, because my son Henry wore pirate costumes the last two Halloweens. Just when I think the trend is over, another Pirates of the Caribbean movie comes out and we're inundated with more pirate wear. Everyone seems to be into it, including grown-ups and little girls.

The stuff is so ubiquitous it's all starting to look the same to me. Which begs the question: why pay top dollar for a kids' boutique tee with a skull and crossbones when one can find the same thing at Wal-Mart? Speaking of skull and crossbones...am I the only mom who's just a teensy-weensy bit weirded-out by this? Hello? These are human remains.

This past August, Gymboree came out with their second pirate line in a year called Pirate Adventure (the first one was Pirate Cove). At least with the new line they put a different spin on it. One of the baby boy sweaters has a cute little puppy on it wearing a pirate hat and eye patch. Edward "Blackbeard" Teach must be spinning in his grave.

It seems that I'm the only one suffering from pirate "fatigue." There appears to be no shortage of pirate-themed clothes this fall, and pirate costumes are just as popular as ever. Nick and Henry certainly don't share my views, and love dressing up like buccaneers.

This past summer, my family went to Ocracoke Island, North Carolina. Henry insisted on a glow-in-the-dark skull and crossbones tee from a souvenir shop. My husband bought one for himself with the phrase "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

It's enough to make a mom (and wife) of unboring boys go ARGGH!

No comments: